DIY: Closet Inventory


I have been working on a very large project.  I have been taking inventory of my closet.  It sounds very OCD.  The reason for doing this is so I know what I have.  I can also look at my whole closet and easily piece together different outfits for trips, parties and just day to day wear. 

To display my clothes, I placed them on a dress form.  If you don’t have a dress form, you can take a picture of yourself wearing the item or you can even just lay it on a flat surface and photograph it.



I wanted my pictures to be wallet sized.  To get the most out of my printing and my paper, I took my photos and put them into Adobe Photoshop and fit 4 2x3 images on a 4x6 layout.  Then it was finally time to print my pictures.  Check around your area because most places such as Walgreens, Sams, Walmart give their customers 100 free prints.  I took advantage of this and printed photos on the free 4x6 paper.

Using card stock, I cut out 2x3 rectangles. You can find my template here.   On the front side of the cardstock, I placed a full photo of my article of clothing.  I left room at the bottom of the card so I could give the item a name.   On the back of the card, I wrote down needed information.  I wrote the description (how many buttons, what the back looks like, any pockets, the type of fabric., etc.).  I gave the size and the color.  I also wrote the store I bought it from, the directions for washing, and if there are any damages. It is a lot of information I know, but you never know when you are going to need the information.

After repeating this step more than 100 times,  I took a binder filled with plastic inserts that could fit 9  wallet size photos per page.  I categorized my clothing into tops, bottoms, accessories, bathing suits, shoes, and dresses.

After you categorized all of your clothing, it would be smart to make different page dividers show you know where each section stops and begins. 

After putting in all of my photo cards by category and by color, I was finally done!  It was a lot of work, but to me it was totally worth it.  I can now see everything I have and how I am going to pair all of my outfits. 

If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to leave them below!  Try this organization project out and tell me how you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment